Return to 1946 and sail amongst our beautiful islands with the Powlison Family and friends aboard the Mokuola. Come watch a 16 mm color film taken by Ted Bredesen (navy photographer who married Puna Peggy 40 years later). It also includes an eruption on the flanks fo Mauna Loa, old-time Waikiki surfing, and area scenery of Kailua, Lanikai, and other islands. Generously shared with the community by Cosette Harms and son Jerrett Harms.
In 1946, Kailua’s population was under 5,000. The biggest store was Harada’s (at Ku’ulei and Kailua). Two churches existed—St. Anthony’s and the “Little White Church” (where Salvation Army is now located). Campos Dairy leased many acres in today’s business district and the surrounding areas. Several dozen homes were standing in and near Lanikai, including the Freeman’s, Tanaka’s, Hedemann’s, and Powlison’s. Mid-Pacific Golf Course, a popular attraction was 17 years old. The Kailua Race Track still existed, as did watermelon farms throughout the Coconut Grove area. Sullivan’s first store, today’s Foodland, would soon be built across from Kalapawai Market (near Kailua Beach), as would Kailua’s first post office nearby.